CHAPTER 1 - In which I say ‘hello’.
Hello out there to you denizens of all things romance. I have a passport to be here, and in fact, have been a citizen of this land for many years. Once upon a time, I happened upon a LaVyrle Spencer book in my high school library, and upon reading a few pages, looked up with an expression I can only describe as “Eureka”. Now, I know that’s not a real description, but you know what I mean. Cue the beam of spotlight, the angels singing on high, the feeling of discovery. I was home. I read the book in record time, as if fearing the librarian would recognize what I had in my grubby hands and take it away. She didn’t do that, and thus, my relationship with romance and ‘lady fiction’ as one friend once called it, began. My aunt – who shall remain nameless – supplied me with several of her own treasures and it wasn’t long before I had a collection of my own. (It took me awhile to realize there was steamier stuff out there than LaVyrle Spencer – but she’s still a fond favorite:)
Let me share with you what I love about ‘lady fiction’.
- It’s literature with a heart. Don’t get me wrong, I love all types of literature. But I find that literary fiction is very…literary. It doesn’t make me laugh, or sigh, or get all tingly with the consistency of a well-written romance novel.
- It gives me the opportunity to live out a love story with people (characters) I come to know and care for. And when it’s a series, oh boy! I get a chance to dwell in those communities/families/towns for several books. Bridgertons, anyone?
- I love love stories! I get caught up, I absolutely do.
- It’s a break from reality. A lovely, steamy, dreamy break.
And most importantly:
- Romance novels are not just about romance. Within the pages of your favorite romance author’s book, you’ll find slices of life that are sometimes so relatable, you’d think the author knew your life story. Yes, sometimes the stories are a little out there to spice up a plot, but the feelings are real. The pages are full of families fighting or uniting, of parents worrying, of men and women at desperate points in their lives. And yes, some are just plain fun, and that’s part of life, too.
So you see, I’m a writer, but I’m also the biggest fan. So this is my hello. It’s great to be here, and you’ll be hearing from me soon. Happy reading!
I’d love to read comments about what YOU like about romance novels.